Everything you need to unhitch with confidence, our step-by-step checklist walks you through the prep work, leveling your rig, positioning chocks, and more.
- Avoid tight spaces and narrow roads.
- Find level parking.
- Check size of space with awnings and slide-outs.
- Check your RV site for hookups.
- If no fresh water at site, fill fresh water at central location.
- Check for obstacles at RV site.
- Ensure hookups are in reach.
Leveling your RV
- Use a level on floor inside RV (or built-in level).
- Use leveling blocks to level.
Unhitch and unwind
- Position chocks snugly under trailer wheels.
- Release trailer and vehicle hitch tension.
- Engage vehicle parking brake.
- Fifth-wheel only: Lower tongue jack until firmly in contact with ground.
- Fifth-wheel only: Lower tailgate.
- Disconnect and stow safety cables and chains.
- Disconnect and store emergency breakaway cable.
- Remove sway/weight distribution bars.
- Lower tongue jack to neutral position with vehicle.
- Release hitch ball or kingpin locking bar.
- Lower tongue jack until hitch clears vehicle ball.
- Disconnect trailer wiring harness from tow vehicle.
- Disengage vehicle parking brake.
- Slowly roll tow vehicle forward and park.